Tuesday, August 19, 2014

New Mexico Rides 10 and 11

For the 100 rides in 100 days project, I am not taking any days off. So when I work a 12 hour day shift, my riding opportunities are limited. For Day 10, I rode on the sandy washes and doubletrack near the Sandoval Regional Medical Center in Rio Rancho.


The dirt road apparently has a name on Google maps: Cartegena Road.

It was surprisingly pretty terrain and rideable despite the sandy substrate.

On Day 11, I just explored  the Capulin Snowplay Area near the Sandia Ski Area.
Te elevation starts at 8700 feet and goes up from there, so the riding could not be any different from the previous days ride.



These trails are made to be bombed down, not ridden up, so I spent much time pushing my bike. I was rewarded with great aspen views.
The trail meets up with the 10K trail, where I paused at 9800 feet elevation before crossing the road and beginning my descent on the 10K south and cross country ski trails that lead to the 9 mile picnic area.
Next time, I would definitely ascend on the South side of the road and return on the North.
Both ways are steep, but options exist to make the ascent more gradual on the South side.

No comments: